Categories of hosting solutions
A hosting solution entails depositing and/or sharing given web content on a web server administered by a website hosting vendor. There are different categories of hosting services utilized for different ends, so let's have a glimpse at these. Thus, you can choose what you want, based on whether you desire to create a web portal, email mailbox accounts, or to share files with comrades and associates.
- File hosting: a solution delivered by certain hosts, which enables you to share big files. These could be disk images, motion pictures, audio files, archives, etc. This service is also known as file storage, and its sole function is to share files, since it does not support website uploading. Once the files are uploaded, you will either get a randomly created download link for each of them, or you will be able to examine a table of all the files in a directory, but you will not be able to load .html or .php web files in your browser. Free file storage solutions are frequently supported by displaying advertisements by the download links, while a timer forces you to wait for a particular period of time to observe them. A given file can be downloaded with limited speed. If you buy a paid file hosting account, there are no limits as to how many files you can upload/download instantly, and also there is no limitation as far as the download speed and the file size are concerned.
At present, with the help of the cPanel hosting suppliers, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more stylish "cloud hosting". This is a thoroughly distorted explanation of the actual meaning of "cloud hosting". A real cloud website hosting environment would share the workload between independent groups of servers in a cluster, which are dedicated to serving different web page hosting services (email, data storage, stats, DNS, databases, site hosting Control Panel, etc.) So, the file hosting solution is only a variety of a disk space hosting service, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even near.
- Image hosting: similar to file hosting; certain providers offer a hosting service for pictures solely. This hosting variant is suitable if you would like to share a big amount of pictures with chums or partners since the service is generally free of cost. You will obtain a randomly generated link for each and every image or album and you can subsequently share this link. As with the file hosting solution, .html and .php files are not compatible, so the service cannot be utilized for websites.
- Email hosting: a service dedicated to tackling your mailbox accounts. Some vendors provide site hosting services for sites, but do not offer an e-mail service. If you would like to run an email address with your domain name but do not want to run a site, then the email hosting service is what you require. You can set up e-mailbox accounts and administer them, but there will be no web solution for the domains. The e-mail hosting service includes incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP servers.
- Video hosting: this service enables you to upload and share video files. You can either share a link to some video file, or you can embed the video file in your web site that is hosted somewhere else. The benefit of utilizing this approach in lieu of uploading the video clip in a hosting account is that the video clip creates a particular amount of CPU load, so with a bunch of videos and a few hundred website visitors, you may have a hard time with your site hosting resources. Embedding the video clip will allow you to run as many video files as you wish without hassling about system quotas.
- Web page hosting: this is the solution that you require if you would like to run a web site. To some degree, it contains all of the abovementioned hosting types since, along with your websites, you can also host pics and files, you can set up databases and email mailbox accounts, upload video clips, and so on. At WebHost-ing.com, for instance, you can take a peek at web hosting and dedicated web hosting services that permit you to have all of the aforementioned services in a single location. There may be restrictions depending on the type of hosting service that you've chosen - a free hosting package, a paid shared hosting package, a VPS or a dedicated server. Based on that, your website hosting package may be better or worse juxtaposed to the routine email/file/video/image hosting plans that are conceived for particular web content exclusively.